September 18, 2016

How to Get an A+/ Study Tips

Okay, first off, let me begin by saying I'm no Harvard graduate. I mean, I'm sure you probably would have guessed that without my telling you, but just in case, I have now clarified. Even though I'm not an expert or anything, most of the time, school comes pretty easily to me. Maybe it has to do with my ever-resourceful inborn intelligence (I'm totally kidding), or maybe, just maybe these tips actually have some merit and worthiness to them. While everyone has their own methods and quirks to learning and studying, today I will be showing you some of mine and hopefully they help you to boost your grades even just a little.

1. My first tip is to write everything down (at least the stuff worth remembering). My school does vocab each week where we have to do some online assignments followed by a test every Friday. Although it's not required that I write the words and definitions down, I still do. Even though people might think I'm crazy because they just get right into their online assignment, it really helps to have a paper copy of the words right in front of me. I can cross them off if I've used them, and it is super handy for studying. I have found that I memorize the words better if I actually write them down. You should also be sure to write down new terminology, dates, and important facts. Although this tip is a little time consuming, studies show that writing facts down is an important step in the active processing of information. Plus, when you have finals at the end of the semester or year, you can look back on your notes and it is much easier than rereading the textbook or looking at old worksheets.

2. My next tip is to read out loud. Anytime you have to read out of the textbook or read an article at home, try reading it out loud. For some reason, when I read a passage or article out loud as if I'm reading in front of the class, it forces me to focus better on what is being said. You could even pretend that you're the teacher reading to your class (if you're into that kind of thing). When I just read in my head, I will sometimes find my eyes fixated at the bottom of the page and realize that I didn't comprehend anything from what I just read so I will have to reread it, which is very annoying. Plus, when you take a test on your reading, there's a good chance that you will remember a fact you need to know because you've already confirmed it out loud rather than in your head. Sometimes, I will be trying to think of a year or person's name and I will picture myself reading it out loud and then it comes to me. I'm not sure if I remember it because of how I said it, or if I was looking at a picture on my wall that I then could think of and be reminded. Either way, that method really does work!

3. Get a planner and use it. I don't know about you, but if I get to school and realize that I forgot to finish an assignment, I FREAK out. As I scramble frantically to at least fill out the page and make it look like I didn't just forget, I start to sweat, my heart pounds, and my mind conveniently decides to be unable to focus on the questions at hand. Let's just say, it is NOT a good time. To save yourself from this calamity, just have a planner at hand. After every class, fill out what needs to be done for tomorrow. Also, be sure to write down about any projects or big tests that are a little ways out so you are reminded and have time to prepare. Even if you don't look at your planner every night, the act of you writing it down, should be enough for you to remember-(see the importance of tip number 1). Another good thing about planners is that there are some really cute ones out there and there are sooo many options to choose from!

4. Take breaks, but stay focused. Taking breaks is probably one of the easiest things you can do while studying. It helps your mind to relax and refocus for your next study segment. So get up and get some water and a snack because your mind needs fuel too! One problem I have though, is that I will go on my phone and start scrolling through instagram or watching youtube and I will get so distracted that it is hard to go back to studying or doing homework. Small breaks are better than long breaks. Just remember that once you finish what it is you're working on, then you can do whatever you want. Use the freedom you will have as motivation to finish strong.

5. My last tip for you is something that I learned in 7th grade. I watched an inspirational video encouraging me to eat that frog. This may sound weird at first, but the frog symbolizes the item on your list of things to do that you are dreading the most. It can make your whole list of things to do seem unmanageable and it can be very frustrating. You will keep putting it off for another time because you don't even want to begin to tackle it. You could do one hundred little useless things to keep putting it off, like watching tv, painting your nails, or going on your phone but it will keep sitting there waiting for you. It can drain your energy without you even realizing it! The best thing to do to that frog is to eat it, (that is to finish it.) Once the frog is off your plate, everything else on your list will seem so much easier to do. After all, if the worst is over, then what do you have to be afraid of? You will feel so relieved and energized once you accomplish the task that you have been dreading. I know it sucks for the time being, but there are just some things that have to be done. A lot of times, people have an idea in their head about how big and bad a task is, but once they get started and get a rhythm going, they realize it isn't so bad after all.

Hopefully some of these tips helped you out or inspired you to come up with your own study tips! I would have had a few pictures posted with this but there is some technical glitch going on with the site right now so it won't let me:( We'll keep working on figuring out what is wrong so hopefully by the time Lizzie posts, everything is back to normal. If you like our blog please be sure to tell others, we really appreciate every page view we get and I want to thank YOU for reading!
Until next time,
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment