January 10, 2017

Trouble sleeping? Try these things!

Hey guys! Honestly, I've been sleeping horribly the past week or two, and while that is nothing compared to some insomniacs, it's still awful not being able to fall asleep. Maybe it's because of finals coming up, stress of homework, or something else, I have just not been able to fall asleep. Not having your much needed rest can mess with you on multiple levels.
1) Not getting your beauty rest can make you not look like your beautiful self. It ages your skin faster and obviously give you under-eye circles. 
2) Being tired dumbs you down and makes you more forgetful. I literally got so confused on a math problem that was actually really easy today just because I was functioning on low sleep. Not to mention I always feel stupid yawning every 3 seconds. 
3) Scarily enough, getting little sleep can seriously mess with your health. Your body needs time to recover from the day. Without that sleep, you double your risk for lots of health problems, particularly cardiovascular disease. 
  With all that being said, here are my tried and true methods to falling asleep a little quicker.
1) Dim it down: Sleeping in a completely dark room is so much easier than sleeping in a light-filled room. My biggest problem is my alarm clock. It gives a lot of light, and also stresses me out when I'm watching the minutes tick by with me not getting any closer to actually sleeping. So, I like to turn it mostly away from me so that the light is dimmed and I can't stare at the clock. 
2) Turn down the temp: Many studies have proven that people sleep better in a cooler room, and it's better for your health. Keep the temperature from around 60 (if you really like the cold)- 68 degrees. Plus, I like being able to wrap myself in my blankets and not be sweating up a storm. (Also, anyone else have the weirdest dreams when they're overheated or is that just me?)
3) Make your bed: This very well could be a me problem, but I hate it when my covers are all messed up and all twisted. It low-key stresses me out trying to fix it! I sleep so much better in a nicely made bed, bonus if the covers are freshly washed. 
4) Exercise- at the right time: I'm all about exercising. It's so good for you and it's fun! It can help you fall asleep, but if you do it too late at night, it can actually have the opposite effect. Your body's adrenaline and heart rate is up after exercising which can make it harder to sleep. Try not to exercise less than 2 hours before you sleep. 
5) Don't worry about it: I always get stressed when I can't fall asleep because I know I will be tired the next day. But I try to just accept the fact that I may be tired tomorrow, and just enjoy my time laying in bed. After all, who doesn't love laying in bed-especially in the morning? It calms me down and I actually fall asleep right away when I do this. 
Alright, that's all I got for you guys! I hope you got a new idea to try out next time you can't sleep! Now, I myself should probably get to bed, because I'm literally procrastinating right now by writing this post!
Sleep well! 
Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment